Sunday, December 9, 2012

Easy Street, part 3

Easy Street, Part 3 is done!  I was a little squeamish when I saw that it was a shaded 4-patch because I was still reeling from the aggravation of the Flying Geese.  Angles of any kind have never been my friend when it comes to sewing.  For some reason, they just never come out right.  I tried the no-waste method with the Geese and was semi-successful but still frustrated at the amount of work and lack of satisfaction with my finished product.  I decided to try the same method with the Shaded 4-patch and BOY! Was that a joke (for me at least)!  Ended up putting 1/2 the units in the crumb bucket.

Soooo....I re-read Bonnie's tutorial again about the Easy Angle & Companion Angle and skimmed over a few more of her blogs where she mentioned that she finger-pressed her seams by scraping her thumbnail down.  These two things plus another blog (can't remember where I saw it) which showed how to chain piece the second side of the wings made it a thoroughly satisfactory Saturday, sewing wise.  I can't believe I never figured out how to chain-piece the second wing units just by flipping them upside down. What a dork I am!



I went back to the Flying Geese and employed the thumb-scrap method to them too and they worked out as well.  Yay!


Sad news though...Godzilla has had enough.  Godzilla is my vintage Elite, a Japanese Singer knock off, circa 1951,  He finished Easy Street and then said "Watashi wa dōsa shimasen" which is "I will no longer work for you, you slave-driving wretch" in Japanese.  So its off to the shop with him and my Christmas gift projects are at a standstill because I only had the one working machine and I gave my loaner back to her Momma because she (Momma) was going through withdrawal.

But I'm still on the path to Easy Street!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, so sad for Godzilla!

    You have my respect for trying triangles again. I took the safe method and have cut the right size at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Godzilla is feeling better soon! I really like your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are looking great despite your initial challenges. Talk nicely to that vintage machine and she will reward you when she gets home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to hear you have persevered with the techniques, it will all be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about your machine. What a time to have a meltdown LOL. Your units are looking fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is great that you understand Godzilla! I don't think I would have much hope of understanding my machine if it spoke in its native tongue. I hope he will be back with you soon, ready to be a happy sewing slave again.

    I used Bonnie's suggested rulers, which I had to purchase. I also watched her video twice, which helped a lot. Apart from their tendency to slip around, I'm finding them quite handy.

    I had to sew some units upside-down because otherwise the corners kept getting mangled as they went through the machine. I was getting very frustrated before I discovered they worked better that way.

    Anyway, your units are all looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you have a talking machine! Makes me wonder what my Viking says to me in Swedish when it's mad at me! Clue 3 is looking good though... I like the red.

    ReplyDelete